Saturday, May 19, 2007

Outdoors pics

Sorry if these take a while to load. I thought the bigger pics would be better for detail.

I took these with my mother's camera, which happens to be the same kind of camera that Suz has. I liked it so much, I bought one off of Ebay. I can't wait for it to get here. Finally, clear pics!

So, this is my rhododendron. The thing is frickin' huge. The top branches reach the bottom of my roof. And it really is hideous, except for one glorious week in spring! Actually, it's been in bloom for about 2 1/2 weeks, which more than makes up for the other 50 weeks of weird-looking-plantiness.




And here is one of my mystery flowers. Almost looks like some sort of lily, but it's on a woody, trunk-like stem. It's a perennial, and it has been cut back a few times. I don't know what it is or how big it could get. Anyone have some ideas? I'm really new to this gardening/landscaping thing.


Another mystery plant. I actually think I used to know the name of this when my mother worked for a florist, but I don't know it anymore. It's some sort of succulent. And for the life of me I can't remember if it ever flowers or not. It almost reminds me of those horrid hens and chicks plants that I despise. They might actually be related.


Hopefully I will get my new camera soon. My peonies are ready to bloom and I want to get pics before they go away for the summer. I also have a rose bush that I need to plant, might do that today.

In hooking news, I'm working on my first doily. Not exactly sure why I decided to make one. I had a pattern, I had the thread, I had the hooks. I want to be able to make lacier things eventually, and figured a doily would be a nice place to start. I finished most of last night. I'm hoping it won't look as wonky once it's finished and blocked. I think I might give it to my SP10 recipient. She collects lacy things and apparently has a small doily collection. I wanted to send her socks, but there's only a month left, and I won't get them made in time, and Greg won't make them for me.

Later, gators!

3 comments:

Mauren Mureaux said...

A camera like my old Olympus or the new Kodak? I love the new Kodak.

That has to be a lily of some kind. I should have DanTheMan look at your blog and see if he knows, he used to own a nursery too.

I spent hours spinning with a drop spindle today. We went over to the Farm Museum here in town. A friend of ours was involved with a spinning guild who was doing a Sheep to Shawl demonstration. She came over, brought me a spindle (that i like better than mine and it was made with a wooden toy truck wheel!) and some wool that still had the lanolin in it. I actually liked that. It was different.

Unknown said...

like the kodak... came with all sorts of goodies, too. I can't wait to get it!

I still have to get over to Kris's mom to have her show me how to use mine. I think I might just be stupid or I might think I am supposed to get different results. hmmmm...

MollyKnits said...

lovely flowers. i should post some of my roses! oh, do they smell good!