Tuesday, October 03, 2006

SP9 Questions

I enjoyed the One Skein Secret Pal Exchange so much, I decided to join the Secret Pal 9 exchange. The questions (like all yarn groups!) is geared towards knitters. I'll answer to the best of my abilities:

1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
After years of using acrylics, I am really starting to enjoy natural fibers. I love alpaca (who doesn't) and some wool blends. I like stuff that is soft... not scratchy. As much as I like the look of them, I hate to work with novelty yarns. Maybe for trims, but that's about it.

2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?

I have a small, vinyl hook case I bought a few years back. I also have a new tote I recently bought on sale at Joann's recently. It's perfect for taking my WIPs to work.

3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?

I've been crocheting for about 6 years or so. I taught myself from a how-to book. I consider myself an intermediate. I've finished some pretty complicated items, but I haven't really tried lace, and I keep learning new techniques.

4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?

Not yet. I keep telling myself I need one.

5. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products, etc.)

I love sandalwood, citrus-y scents, and very light floral scents. Nothing heavy.

6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?

I love sweets. I love chocolate, especially dark chocolate. I'm not sure I have an absolute favorite candy. I do love Ghiradelli squares. Mint and caramel.

7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?

I've owned a drop spindle for a little over a year. I still haven't figured out how to use it. I don't really do many other crafts. Crocheting is all for me. Unless you count gardening.

8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)

I like all sorts of music. Rock, indie, alternative, emo, blues.... you name it. Not much country, but there are a few. My play list is long and varied. Currently, I have an obsession with a few indie English bands and with some club music.

9. What's your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can't stand?

My favorite colors are green and pink. I also really like blue. There really aren't any colors that I don't like. I rarely wear orange or yellow because they don't look good on me.

10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?

I have been married for a bit over 9 years. My husband knits. We have three furdren (cats).

11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?

Yes, yes, yes, and yes. I have made all of the above as well (except the mittens. I have trouble with the shaping)

12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?

My favorite items to crochet are those that don't take very long. I'm an instant gratification sort of gal. I make a lot of lap blankets (which a group of us donate to local nursing homes), and since I am at "that age" I find myself making a lot of baby items.

13. What are you knitting right now?

Currently I am crocheting some baby booties. Then I need to get to work on some lap blankets. I also have some patterns for a shawl and some fingerless gloves that I want to make.

14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?

Of course!

15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?

I prefer aluminum hooks over plastic. I haven't tried bamboo yet.

16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?

I wish.... I roll the most lopsided balls of yarn. It's pitiful. At least I finally learned how to wind a center-pull ball of yarn!

17. How old is your oldest UFO?

Let's see.... I've been crocheting for about 6 years, so.... um... 6 years old. :-)

18. What is your favorite holiday?

Halloween (aka Samhain for us Pagans)

19. Is there anything that you collect?

Books. Mirrors. Apparently yarn, although I'm going to use it all someday. Really.

20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?

I can't think of any books that I want at this time. Unless there is a really good book on spinning that I can follow. I would like to try using bamboo hooks. I have one that claims to bamboo, but it feels like regular wood and isn't properly sanded. There is a pattern for a shawl that I saw online that has a Goddess symbol crocheted into it that I love.

21. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?

Maybe one day I'll learn to knit. I really want to learn filet crochet and lace-making.

22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?

I don't even crochet socks. I'm planning on it someday, though. I wear a women's size 9 shoe. I don't know how many inches that would be, though.

23. When is your birthday? (mm/dd)

May 11, 1975

2 comments:

Nic said...

Thanks for getting your questions up! I should get you matched soon! /hostess nic

MollyKnits said...

Wow, i know so much more about you!